Friday, September 28, 2012

The Arboretum at Penn State


The University Park Campus is gigantic. I go for a jog every day and find something new to stumble upon. It often results in me getting lost but I always find my way back into Downtown eventually. While running, I love to stop at the Botanical Gardens at the Arboretum. There is usually only a few other people there and it’s a great place to enjoy what is around you. Located near the intramural fields, the Arboretum is a beautiful place to relax and engulf yourself in nature. 

It was fairly cold on the Monday morning we attended. With the bipolar weather of State College, Pennsylvania, I was unsure of how warmly to dress. Every morning I get up for class and freeze on my walk over. By my second class, I am sweating just waiting for an excuse to go back to the dorm and change. People all had jackets and coffee out to keep warm. As we waited in the sun for the rest of the class to arrive, everything began to warm up and was pleasant to just sit and enjoy the sun for a change of pace. 

When you walk in to the right, there is a huge white tent. It opens up to the view of the rolling hills. You can see the trees beginning to change colors. It is the perfect spot for a wedding: scenic and romantic. My favorite photo I took was the one of the building and tent from a far. There are flowers encompassing the perimeter of the the garden and the building set in the center is gorgeous. The flowers, scrubs, and plants on the outside bring your attention to the center and allow the building to seem so welcoming.

I like nature but I’m not the first want to go camping or running to sign up for a hike. This is the perfect place to relish in nature while not being too much of a “treehugger” or “hardcore.” I’m from Long Island, and I’m not use to this kind of scenic views. I’m completely surrounded by water, I do not usually get to enjoy the mountains and hills that surround us here in Pennsylvania. It is very different but also one of the reasons why I love State College. It is completely different from where I’m from and it is nice to experience the views of a new place.

I could see myself returning to this place to study on a bench. The library can be overwhelming with so many people looking to find a seat or desk to work at in peace. The Arboretum is quiet, private, and peaceful. It also allows you to remain undisturbed because people just want to savor the nature around them.

Most people are unaware of it. Which is ironic due to fact is it so near the sports complexes. Student’s lack of knowledge of this wonderful place shows how fast we are all moving. Constantly keeping up with the hectic lifestyle here and at school, that we do not even realize what beauty surrounds us right here on our university grounds. The Botanical Gardens is the perfect place to take a breath of fresh air and appreciate the little things that are provided to us. 







2 comments:

  1. I love how you instagramed the pictures they are so pretty and artsy , which matches the name of your blog! haha I took so many pictures too ! The sky looks so awesome in the first picture ! I think it is a really nice place to have a wedding or something, its so pretty! I like how your blog is so colorful and full of Penn State spirit !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaitlin--

    I agree with Cara--that first picture is just wonderful. So glad you enjoyed our time there.

    S

    ReplyDelete